Rumor of Vimto
Vimto: is concentrated Syrup, its ingredients are divided into two groups:
- Natural ingredients: sugar, water, cherries and berries juice, fruit juice, cola extract
- Food additives: caramel color, citric acid (acidity regulator), Allura red color.
- The caramel color and citric acid are safe ingredients and have no side effects on the consumer, while the Allura red color which is the main theme of the rumor is a Synthetic Azo red dye from nitrogen source suggested by the United States to replace the currently prohibited red pigment known as Amaranth (e 123).
- The Allura additive is an approved food colorant by the European Union, the USA Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Codex Alimentarius, and the standards of the Arabian Gulf countries .
- There is no scientific evidence that this dye causes cancer in humans otherwise it would have been prevented by global regulators, especially that the international standards allow a daily consumption limit of 7 mg / kg of body weight from this colorant.
- This colorant is added to food in studied quantities which are much less than the permitted daily dose, and the regulatory authorities are making sure that those quantities are not exceeded through routine product testing.
- The Arab Gulf countries legislations allow mentioning the name or the number of the food additive in the list of the ingredients such as E100. The Allura dye is known by several names such as:
- E 129
- AC red Allura
- Food Red 17 C.I 16035
- FD & C Red 40