Planning and construction
How long does it take to complete the planning permit procedures?
- Planning permits procedures take at least 5 working days. For exceptional requests, the timing varies as they would require extensive planning study.
- For more information, check to Apply for a Planning Permit.
Does Dubai municipality provide fill sand? What are the procedures for individuals and companies?
- Yes, we provide fill sand. This service was under the Environment Department in Dubai Municipality, but it is currently under the Building Control Department
- For individuals: Contact Al Karama Centre – Mr. Muhammad Eid
- For companies:
- Send a Letter of Request for fill sands (not sand transfer request)
- Include the parcel-ID and information about the landlords
- Visit Al Karama Centre and pay the fees determined by the Building Control Department.
Can I divide my land into 2 plots?
- You must Apply for a Planning Permit through our website, for the Executive Planning Department to study the application and verify its compliance with the planning criteria (the type of ownership, land use and minimum area, dimensions, and depth)
- You must then pay the due fees, which are determined according to the nature of the application and the planning permit content. The fee for changing the use of land or dividing a land is 1% of its value, according to the valuation certificate issued by the Land Department and according to Regulation No. (3) of 2007 issued by The Executive Council.
Why does Dubai Municipality prevent multi-family dwelling or housing for singles in private residential areas?
- Municipality prevents multi-family dwelling or housing for singles in private residential areas for several reasons, namely:
- Violation of building laws and regulations
- Violation of allotted use of the building
- Violation of the customs and traditions of the local community
- Pressure on public utility networks
- Negative security implications.
What are the fees for the change of land use in Dubai Building Permits System?
- There are no fees if the change was within the authorized uses for the plot.
- Fees apply only if the change was not authorized in the planning map, such as converting the first floor from residential to a restaurant. In that case, you must Apply for a Planning Permit through our website.
- You must then pay the due fees, which are determined according to the nature of the request and the planning permit content. The fee for changing the use of land or dividing a land is 1% of its value, according to the valuation certificate issued by the Land Department and according to Regulation No. (3) of 2007 issued by The Executive Council.
- The fees are applied according to the above equation for the converted area.
Can I build 2 villas in a granted residential plot?
- It is possible to add another residential villa on the same plot of land in the case of lands granted to citizens or in special social cases where no other lands were granted to the concerned.
Are multiple families allowed to live in one house?
No, it is not allowed for more than one family to live in private residence villas and homes
Can I house singles in my own residential villa?
- No, housing singles is not allowed in private residence villas in Dubai.
Can I merge my son's or my brother's land with mine?
- No, it is not allowed to merge a land granted to another person because it is considered as their right. However, you can apply to be exempted from building internal walls between the lands of relatives, provided that the application is submitted during the building process.
How can I combine the railway tracks with my land?
- Railway tracks in Dubai areas are designed to provide public utility services such as electricity, water and communications with ease and at the lowest cost.
- If you, as a landlord, wish to combine the railway track with your land, you can apply for the service through our website. The Executive Planning Department studies the request and makes sure that there are no services using this track and that it will not be needed in the future by any government authority.
- The approval of combining the track is also pending the neighbor’s approval. The intended land is sold in half to both neighbors and is then sold to the person who desires it, after obtaining a valuation certificate from the authorized Valuation Committee in Dubai.
- For full information, check to Apply to Purchase and Combine Adjacent Lands.
Can I open a grocery shop or supermarket in a labour housing complex or construction site?
- It depends on the case study and location while taking into account the region’s needs, and according to the, the adopted regulations. A construction site cannot include these services if it is not listed in the land’s type (industrial) in the case of a planning permit request (adding service activities to workers housing – for example, a restaurant, grocery, supermarket, or others).
Can I open a restaurant in a labour housing complex?
- It depends on the case study and location.
Can I establish a business in a residential villa?
- ResidentialvVillas are only intended for housing, but the approved planning modifications impose sometimes a change of land use in certain areas of Dubai, such as Jumeirah Road and Al Wasl Road.
- Commercial activities within residential villas are allowed for a land-use change fee, after fulfilling the planning requirements specified by the Executive Planning Department, such as:
- Availability of parking spaces within the boundaries of the land
- Availability of service roads in front of the villas
- For full information about this service, check to Apply for a Planning Permit.
How can I obtain a land to build a mosque?
- You should check with the Islamic Affairs and Charitable Activities Department (IACAD) in this regard to submit your application. IACAD is the only entity authorized to submit the application through Dubai Municipality’s website to be reviewed by the Executive Planning Department – Planning Services Section
- You can contact the Department of Islamic Affairs and Charitable Activities through:
How can I obtain a commercial land?
Commercial lands are not allocated by Dubai Municipality, but you can invest in the lands belonging to the Dubai Municipality by contacting the Investment Department
How can I obtain an industrial land for warehouses, garages or factories, or to set up workshops or labour housing?
- You can obtain an industrial land by leasing it from:
- Dubai Real Estate Corporation:
- Dubai Investments:
- Dubai Industrial City:
How can I obtain an agricultural land?
- The allocation of agricultural lands is not within the jurisdiction of the Dubai Municipality.
How can I obtain a residential land?
- You can obtain a residential land by contacting the Mohammed Bin Rashid Housing Establishment: