About His Excellency Mr. Qassim Sultan Albanna:
His Excellency Mr. Qassim Sultan Albanna was appointed as the Acting Director General of Dubai Municipality from (1985–1993), and then Director General from (1993–2006).
With a distinguished career spanning over a period of 30 years, His Excellency Qassim Sultan Albanna has promoted through the ranks, starting from the position of Assistant Engineer to Assistant Director of the Technical Sector. He then held senior posts, including those of the Deputy Director and the Acting Director General of the Municipality before being appointed as Director General.
Positions and Awards:
Through wise cooperation, and as a result of his effective leadership that has transformed Dubai into a metropolis, the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) awarded its Scroll of Honor to H.E. Mr. Qassim Sultan Albanna in 1994. He was appointed in 1998 as the programme’s first Goodwill Ambassador for the Arab region.
Dubai Municipality won numerous international awards for its high standards of performance during the period where H.E. acted as Director General, namely:
- Various awards from the Arab Towns Organization in the fields of environmental protection, conservation of urban heritage and historic buildings
- Awards from the Organization of Islamic Capitals and Cities
- Australian award in waste management
- The “Pioneer Award 1999” awarded to Dubai Municipality in New York by “International Council for Caring Communities”
- The 2001 Cannes International Water and Cities Award granted by the Mediterranean Water Network and UNESCO
In addition to his duties as Director General of Dubai Municipality, H.E. Mr. Qassim Sultan Albanna undertook numerous other tasks involving government policies and operations. He serves in Boards of Directors of several organizations and associations and effectively contributes to non-governmental activities including his chairmanship of a national sports and cultural club in Dubai.
Among the numerous local, regional and international roles performed by H.E. Mr. Qassim Sultan Albanna, we mention:
- Chairman of the Arab Towns Organization (1994-1997).
- Host and co-chairman of the Dubai International Conference on Best Practices, organized jointly by Dubai Municipality and The United Nations Human Settlements Programme in November 1995.
- Member of the Islamic Capitals and Cities Organization, based in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Member of the U.N. Secretary General’s Advisory Group of Eminent Persons for the Habitat II Conference, held in Turkey in June 1996.
- Member of the United Nations Advisory Committee on Local Authorities (UNACLA) since 2000.
- Chairman of the concluding Plenary Session of the International Union of Local Authorities (IULA) World Congress in Mauritius in April 1997.
- Leader of delegation of the World Assembly of Cities and Local Authorities Commission (WACLAC) for the Dialogue Session with the UN Commission on Sustainable Development in New York in April 1997.
- Appointed as Goodwill Ambassador for the UNCHS for Human Settlements in 1998.
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Dubai International Award for Best Practices to Improve the Living Environment.
- Chairman of Development Board in Dubai (2000-2004).
- Chairman of Board of Directors of Health and Medical Services Department in Dubai (Since 2001).
- Chairman of the Organizing Committee for the annual meetings of the Boards of Governors of International Monetary Fund and World Bank, held in Dubai in 2003.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Federal Environment Authority, United Arab Emirates.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Standards and Specifications Authority, United Arab Emirates.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of Al Ahli Sports and Cultural Club.
- Head Of Infrastructure and Environment Committee in Dubai
His Excellency is currently Senior Vice President of the National Olympic Committee.