The origin of Dubai Municipality was founded in 1954 commencing its activities with a cadre of seven employees undertaking simple tasks in cleaning the city.
The first decree establishing the Municipality was on February 28, 1957, whereby 23 municipal council members had been appointed from the elders of the country and traders with limited powers, the most important of which was to take care of health and architectural affairs of the city as well as to organize construction and beautification of the city and provide constructive suggestions to the government.
Dubai Municipality passed a series of evolutionary stages through the years of its multiplied tasks, including:
In the 1 974 His Highness Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum, God rest his soul, issued a decree establishing the municipality, which nullified the former order to establish the municipality and stated to establish the new Dubai Municipality having independent characteristics, morals and powers within the entire emirate that includes the Municipal Council and the administration body, which executes the policy and directives and in accordance with the decree.
In 1980 a decree had been issued establishing the Municipal Council appointing 32 members headed by His Highness Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Chairman of Dubai Municipality.
The Municipality continued its development coinciding with the growth of the Emirate of Dubai and reached to 11,000 employees working in 34 departments under six sectors, namely:
- International Affairs & Partnership Sector.
- General Support Sector.
- Environment Health & Safety Control Sector.
- Environmental & Public Health Services Sector.
- Planning & Engineering Sector.
- Corporate Support Sector.
Hence the Dubai Municipality is regarded as one of the largest governmental institutions in terms of services rendered and projects executed. Thus the municipality is the leading driver of growth and evolution of the Emirate of Dubai.