About the Fish Market:
The fish market is one of Dubai Municipality's public markets. It offers fresh and dried fish daily, especially fish from the Arabian Gulf region, such as Hamour (Grouper), Kanaad (narrow-barred Spanish mackerel), Sharri, Zabedi, Longtail Tuna, Pomfret (Angel Fish) and Safi (Rabbitfish). It also sells fresh and frozen meats and holds fish auctions.
The fish market hosts the traditional fisherman's house, which attracts many tourists, delegations and scientific trips. The house gives them an insight into fishing, a craft that has been ever present our ancestors’ history.
The market also houses many shops and stores, among them:
- Bird and ornamental fish shops
- Pet shops
- Poultry shops
- Food stuff shops
- Grains and dates shops
- Vegetable and fruit shops
- Kitchenware and flower shops.
titleFish Market Guidelines:
The Deira Fish Market has some general guidelines that should be followed, most notably:
- Dealing with unlicensed porters and fish cutters is not allowed. Dubai Municipality is not liable to them.
- Licensed porters carry Dubai Municipality ID cards and wear uniforms.
- Park in public parking spaces designated for shoppers. To avoid risk of penalty, do not use parking spaces reserved for fish and food trucks.
- Truck owners must load and unload fish and food in designated areas only.
- Fish freshness must be verified by referring to the Fish Selection Guidelines. If you have any suspicions, please check with the market management or call the toll-free number: 800 900.
- No littering or throwing cigarette butts on ground.
- No parking allowed inside the market after 10:00pm.
- Shoppers' cars are not allowed in the auction market area.
titleFish Selection Guidelines:
The fish market has detailed instructions for selecting fish. This ensures choosing the finest kinds in line with general health and safety requirements and specifications. Since you should choose fresh fish, the following guidelines must be followed before any purchase:
- Fish smell is usually a good indicator for quality. Fish that has an unpleasant or pungent indicates badly-handled and rotten dish. Refrain from buying it.
- Cut fish must be checked before purchase. The condition is:
- Good: the meat is very firm, the colour is bright and translucent and the cut pieces are somewhat moist
- Poor: the meat is soft and of whitish colour, with signs of dehydration.
- Fresh fish can be identified by looking at its eyes. They should be bright, shiny very clear and not bulging out.
- Most fresh fish can be identified by the colour of the gills. A pink colour means it is very fresh. With time, it becomes reddish then firm red. Eventually, it turns grey, with an unpleasant smell. Mullet and the White Grunt's gills turn green when rotten.
- The colour of fresh fish that reaches the market is bright.
- When gently pressing on fresh fish, the meat is hard and bounces back when you release the pressure. Bad fish meat is soft and does not bounce back when pressed.
- Most fresh fish, when carried in the palm of the hand, remain straight. When held from the head, the tail does not bend downward, except for large fish and eels.
- Fresh fish scales are tight and stuck to the body, while bad fish scales are loose and crack easily.
- Bad shrimp can only be identified by smelling its head, which emits an unpleasant odour. Fresh shrimp does not smell.
- Frozen fish are not all bad. They can retain their nutritional value and natural flavour, provided that they are handled correctly from the time they are caught until they are frozen.
titleFish Market Auction Area:
- The auction area in the fish market has 55 parking spaces, all designated for trucks loaded with fish coming from Dubai and neighbouring Emirates. Dubai Fishermen Cooperative Society schedules truck entry according to the source of the fish. After that, the bidding and auction process begin.
Auction Hours (selling fish):
- Every day of the week:
- Morning hours: from 8:00am to 10:30am
- Evening hours: from 3:30 pm to 8:00 pm.
Instruction for Using the Auction Area Parking Spaces:
- Bidding on fish trucks that are not licensed by the Dubai Fishermen Cooperative Society is prohibited.
- Fictitious brokers and mediators are not allowed into the auction area.
- The required permit and parking number must be obtained from the Dubai Fishermen Cooperative Society officer.
- You must adhere to the auction area's opening and closing hours. Entering and exiting must happen at the specified times. You must not enter the market before the specified time to avoid obstructing traffic.
- Random parking in front of the auction area gate entrance is prohibited.
- You must pay the fees set according to the size of the truck.
- You must park in the designated parking space in the auction area.
- Cornering or reserving more than one space is not allowed.
- Tampering with fish weights while unloading them from trucks is not allowed.
- Throwing away fish leftovers after the auction finishes is not allowed.
- All the displayed fish must be removed when the drainage sewers are open.
- Throwing fish water in auction area or in any parking lots.
- Private parking is not allowed after 10:00 pm.
- Only Thukher Card holders are allowed to enter the auction area after auction hours.
titleLight Transport Truck Yard:
The Deira Fish Market has an adjacent yard for light transport trucks, next to the Hyatt Regency Dubai. It has many facilities, such as:
- Parking for 900 trucks
- General facilities
Truck Yard Opening Hours:
- Saturday to Friday: Around the clock.
You can also book a parking place in the yard by calling:
- Area Management Office, telephone: 04/2724111
- Fish Market Management Office - Deira, telephone number: 04/2264549
- Call Centre, toll-free number: 800 900.
Light Transport Truck Instructions:
- You must display the access card to the security guard.
- Card must be placed at the front of the truck while parked.
- You must only park in the place authorized for the truck.
- Sleeping or lodging in the truck or parking lots or yards is not permitted.
- No littering or throwing cigarette butts on the ground.
- Tampering with public facilities in the yard (restrooms) is prohibited.
- The management is not responsible for lost items inside or outside the truck while parked.
- You can check the rental services guide via this link.