Ras Al Khor Sanctuary
Dubai Municipality’s Ras Al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary is one of the important protected areas in Dubai. It covers an area of over 6.2sqm and supports around 450 animal species and 47 plant species. There are three strategically-located bird hides to watch colourful birds and other wildlife. The area is teeming with life and is a breeding ground for several mammals, fish, birds, reptiles and amphibians.Ras Al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary is the first sanctuary in UAE to be declared as a Ramsar Site under the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. The decision was announced on August 29, 2007 and ratified in December 29, 2007, making UAE the 156th member in the Ramsar Convention. This unique wetland in UAE is also recognized as an Important Global Bird Area (IBA) by BirdLife International. Additionally, It has won the GCC Award for Environment and Wildlife - The Best Protected Area in the Gulf countries and Middle East Award for Excellence of Municipalities in the category of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources in 2016.Established in 1985, the sanctuary was officially declared as a protected area on March 1, 1998 by the Local Order No. (2) of 1998. In December 2003, His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, issued Law No. (11) of 2003 regarding the establishment of natural sanctuaries in Dubai. The laws stated that the Natural Resources Conservation Section in the Environment Department of Dubai Municipality would assume the administrative authority of the sanctuary.
- The sanctuary is subject to the typical management provisions of protected areas. These include a ban on hunting, shooting or any disturbance caused to any wildlife stability and sustainability.
- School delegations, tourism companies and media are required to apply for pre-authorization to visit the reserve through the website: https://environment.dm.gov.ae
- Winter Hours (October - March): from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Summer Hours (April - September): from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Working hours change during the Holy month of Ramadan and public holidays.
For more information, please contact Customer Service:
- Telephone: 800 900
- Website: www.rasalkhorwildlife.ae
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sanctuary LocationIn the heart of the historic Dubai Creek.