Mr. Qassim Sultan
Mr. Qassim Sultan was appointed as the Acting Director General of Dubai Municipality from (1985 – 1993), and then Director General from (1993 – 2006).
Having a distinguished career spanning a period of over thirty years, His Excellency Qassim Sultan rose through the ranks in Dubai Municipality, United Arab Emirates, starting from the position of an Assistant Engineer to be the Director General of Dubai Municipality. He was first promoted as Assistant Director of the Technical Sector, and then held senior posts including those of the Deputy Director and the Acting Director of the Municipality before being appointed as the Director General.
As a result of his effective leadership that has transformed Dubai into an efficient metropolis, the United Nations Centre for Human Settlements (UNCHS) awarded its Scroll of Honor to Mr. Qassim Sultan in 1994 and he was appointed in 1998 as the first Goodwill Ambassador for the UNCHS in the Arab region. In addition, the Municipality's high standards of performance have also been recognized through other international awards including those of the Arab Towns Organization in the fields of environmental protection, and conservation of historic buildings, an Australian award in waste management, the "Pioneer Award 1999" awarded to Dubai Municipality in New York by "International Council for Caring Communities", and the Great International Cannes Prize granted by the Mediterranean Network for Water and UNESCO in 2001.
In addition to his duties as Director General of Dubai Municipality, Mr. Qassim Sultan performs numerous other tasks involving government policies and operations. He serves in Boards of Directors of several organizations and associations and effectively contributes to non-governmental activities including his chairmanship of a national sports and cultural club in Dubai.
Among the numerous Local, Regional and International roles performed by H.E. Mr. Qassim Sultan, mention can be made of his :
- Chairman of the Arab Towns Organization (1994- 1997).
- Host and co-chairman of the Dubai International Conference on Best Practices organized jointly by Dubai Municipality and UNCHS in November 1995.
- Member of the Islamic Capitals and Cities Organization, Saudi Arabia.
- Member of the U.N. Secretary General's Advisory Group of Eminent Persons for the Habitat II Conference (June 1996).
- Member of the United Nations Advisory Committee on Local Authorities (UNACLA).
- Chairman of the concluding Plenary Session of the International Union of Local Authorities (IULA) World Congress in Mauritius in April 1997.
- Leader of delegation of the World Assembly of Cities and Local Authorities Commission (WACLAC) for the Dialogue Session with the UN Commission on Sustainable Development in New York in April 1997.
- Appointed as a Goodwill Ambassador for the UNCHS in 1998.
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Dubai International Award for Best Practices to Improve the Living Environment.
- Chairman of Development Board in Dubai (2000-2004).
- Chairman of Board of Directors of Health and Medical Services Department in Dubai (Since 2001).
- Chairman of the Organizing Committee for the annual meetings of the Boards of Governors of International Monetary Fund and World Bank, held in Dubai in 2003.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Federal Environment Authority, United Arab Emirates.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Standards and Specifications Authority, United Arab Emirates.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of Al Ahli Sports and Cultural Club.
- Senior Deputy Chairman of National Olympic Committee.
- Head Of Infrastructure and Environment Committee in Dubai