Hydrography began as an engineering activity to collect data for chart production and safe navigation. Hydrographic data gained vital importance with the commencement of offshore oil and gas exploration and exploitation and other marine civil engineering/offshore engineering activities such as port construction, coastal reclamation & sustainable development, laying of underwater pipeline & marine cables, rig positioning, and wreck detection. In the era of information technology the Surveying Department of Dubai Municipality had realized that, good quality and well managed spatial hydrographic and oceanographic information are the essential ingredients to economic & commercial offshore/near shore developments and to environmental protection.
We have recognized the growing need for the hydrographic data in applications other than nautical charting, to help the decision makers to take the right decision at right time in all relevant fields. To meet these national requirements, and to provide a high quality data to satisfy all our customers (as our main target) we are establishing Dubai “National Spatial Marine Data base” to provide data to all consumers of various departments in Dubai with the access to our spatial Marine data where, when and how they need it. We also provide and serve hydrographic data to all hydrographic customers and communities of Dubai Emirates through our Marine Information System (MIS)
Tide Gauges and Offshore Buoy Network Network
A Network of 5 coastal water level and tide monitoring stations, an offshore buoy station and a permanent tidal station were established in different outpost. These monitoring stations serve as the first line monitoring system as they will detect the rise of water level. Each of the station has a water level meter coupled with a tide gauge to measure the rise and fall of sea level. GPRS communication is used for real time data transmission of the tide data to the central processing centre in Dubai Municipality Survey section for analysis.
Our Tide Gauges Network System has the following key features
Real time tidal and other meteorological data at every 2 minutes is made available on our website and the historical data throughout the year can be down loaded from our database.
The services provided by the hydrographic team are
- Single beam bathymetric data of Dubai Offshore / near shore / creek area in xyz, .dxf, .dwg, .dgn, and .shp formats.
- Multibeam bathymetric data of Dubai Offshore / near shore / creek area in xyz, .dxf, .dwg, .dgn, and .shp formats.
- Tide data/real-time tide data of Dubai coast and offshore area.
Dubai Tide Tables.
- Shallow seismic profiles / sub bottom profiles of Dubai Offshore / near shore / creek area.
- Hydrographic Survey Charts (Hard copy format 1km X 1km area).
- Metrological data (air temperature, air pressure, visibility, humidity, soil temperature, wind speed.
- Electronic Navigational Charts of Dubai Offshore / near shore.
- Navigational Charts in hard copy format.
- Ship wreck information.
- Sea bed information.
- Pre dredging and post dredging surveys.
- Hydrographic Surveys in the near shore / offshore / creek area of Dubai.
- Real-time tide data required for various maritime works.
- Magnetometer data of underwater pipelines.
- Side Scan sonar images.